With the Anchorage Cannabis Dispensary, you will get to learn a lot of information regarding the use of cannabis while breastfeeding and in pregnancy. Breastfeeding is known to be the preferred and natural way of feeding your baby. It is believed to provide a lot of benefits to the child and mother and thus it needs to be the optimal feeding choice for the majority of infants.
Breast milk has the right amounts of proteins, carbohydrates, minerals, fats, and vitamins. At the same time, breastfeeding helps in bonding between the child and mother. When you expose yourself to marijuana while breastfeeding, it is not right and it isn’t recommended at all.
The use of marijuana while breastfeeding makes the THC, which is the psychoactive ingredient found in marijuana be passed via the breast milk directly to the baby, which might affect the baby.
- When marijuana is used while breastfeeding or during pregnancy, it might interfere with the brain development of the baby because the brain grows rapidly during this particular time
- Other potential effects are long-term to the baby that gets exposed to marijuana during pregnancy or while breastfeeding which includes; a decrease in the IQ score, decreased growth, mental function decrease, a decrease in academic ability, and attention problems.
- The smoke of marijuana has over 150 chemical compounds most of being the same as what is found in tobacco and can cause cancer. Once it gets into your blood, most of the chemicals can then be passed to the breastfeeding baby or the unborn child.
Marijuana and pregnancy:
- No matter the way you utilize the marijuana while you are pregnant i.e. vaping, smoking, eating, the drug will enter into your bloodstream and it will be passed to the baby directly
- It isn’t recommended that you utilize marijuana in treating nausea or morning sickness. Ask your health provider to give you medications that are safe during pregnancy.
Breastfeeding and marijuana:
- As per a study that was carried out in 1982, the THC – delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, which is the ingredient that is active in marijuana, gets excreted in human breast milk in small amounts. As per their findings, 0.8 percent of the maternal weight-adjusted intake of one joint or comparable consumable gets ingested by the infant in a single feed after consuming or smoking marijuana.
Because infants get exposed to marijuana through breast milk, chances are that they could show signs of muscle tone that is reduced, signs of sedation, and poor sucking. This means that your child will have trouble being nursed if the breast milk contains marijuana in it.